FVA 17 - Flying wing
In 1954, the FVA took over a research contract from the Federal Ministry of Transport for the purpose of operating the type certification of the flying wing Horten Ho 33-V71 as a powered aircraft. All related work and verifications were to be carried out by it.
This type, designed by Mr. Walter Horten of Bonn, joined the numerous Horten flying wings developed before 1945. The aircraft was already designed with a view to later use as a powered aircraft. Since the VI was initially flown as a glider, the intended engine weight was installed as ballast, among other things because of the correct center of gravity position in the fuselage extension.
The first two experimental models of the Ho 33 were built by the Alfons Pützer KG company in Bonn. The initial data on which the calculation was based were as follows:
- Wingspan: 19.20 m
- Wing depth at the root: 3.25 m
- Wing area: 35.60 m
- empty weight: 430 kg
- Flight weight: approx. 650 kg
- Wing loading 18 kg/m²
The wing was of single spar design with a torsion nose in wood. In the outer wing were the combined aileron and elevator controls and special flaps, which were deflected upward as a drag surface for lateral control. The fuselage, like the wing, was of wooden construction with two seats in tandem.
In the rear of the fuselage was the space for the engine. Tandem landing gear with steerable tail wheel and two retractable support wheels were used about the inner third of the half span.
Initially, the fuselage was transferred from the Pützer company to the FVA workshop in Aachen, where work soon began on the engine installation. The engine was a Zündapp “Z 9-092” (-092 in = -2.34 m) with the following data:
- Power: 50 hp (36.8 kW) at 2300 rpm
- Consumption: 210285 g/PSh
- Weight: approx. 65 kg
At the same time as the workshop work, the strength verification for the engine frame was carried out as part of a student project. This work took about four months.